DIY: FROG IN A FRAME


         
 
 KERMIT CLEIN
I picked up this Kermit Clein poster for probably around ten bucks at a poster sale in college. He is around eleven years old and unfortunately he showed it! I couldn’t get rid of him though and I felt like he had been folded up (yeah I know) for far too long! So I set out on one of many DIY projects I plan to share with you guys! 
STEP 1. Select frames to fit your poster. Play around with sizing and directions until you fill you have the perfect configuration. 

I was intrigued and inspired by many DIY photo walls and collages that played with sizes shapes and colors of groupings of frames and I thought why can’t I do the same with Kermit!

I headed to Hobby Lobby on a frame sale week and took a look around. Of course the newbie DIYer that I am I did not have my poster in hand and I grabbed one that looked similar in size to base my frame needs off of (nope I didn’t get all technical and divide and subtract which is probably the correct way to do this project). I grabbed some frames and played around with them until I felt like I had the best fit…
STEP 2.Prep your poster. If your poster is as loved as mine then you may need to take some time taping up tears and patching up holes. I used regular clear magic tape. I toyed with the idea of trying to iron out the poster but decided against it and I believe over time the hanging of the paper with loosen up some of the wrinkles.
STEP 3: My frames for this project are The Archives Quick Frame from Hobby Lobby. They have a hard paper backing. I placed the backs on the poster in the configuration that I decide upon and once they were all in place I traced around each one carefully with a pencil.

With the awkward sizes of readily available framing I quickly found nothing would be perfect and I came to terms with being ok with losing a little bit of the poster to the cutting room floor!

STEP 4: After I traced out my frame backs I cut out the pieces.

STEP 5: Frame each piece of the poster in it’s respective frame

Step 6: Hang for the finished product! So my first go round I decided to use removable hooks… not a good idea for a bathroom/next to a shower with steam  etc… location. The first night I lost one frame and out of fear I took down the others.I decided to go the tried and true route of hammer and nail!


No comments: